Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dealing with a Newborn...puppy




To the left you will see Charlie and I. As I try to do a little research on some upcoming house projects, he insists on being at my side at all time. He is not very nice to my Macbook so I replaced it with his chew toy. He loves that chew toy...but only when he can't find anything else he's not supposed to chew on.

Let me rewind to a few months ago.
Husband - and from now on I will use his name, Ed: "Hunny, lets get a puppy!"
Me: "not until our 1 year anniversary (in May)"
Ed: Ok sounds good.

In the meantime, I do some research on what kind of dog we should get. We own a home, but we have terrible landscaping and it would be a horrible yard for a dog, like a Lab or say a German Shepherd to run around in. We have 2 cats, VERY  SOCIAL dominating cats, so we are going to need a "chill" dog. Anyone watch Modern Family? Stella, the French Bulldog is adorable! Lets get one of those. *research, research, research* Holy crap they are not easy to find and damn they are not cheap! They have gas issues?!

So I mention my findings to Ed. He falls in love with the idea. We finally find a breeder and after an undisclosed amount of money, and a 6 hour drive, BAM we have a new puppy. Clearly well before May.

How hard could taking care of a 10 week old puppy be? I'm not a parent but I could imagine this is like taking care of a human newborn. Up 2-3 times a night, crying, peeing and pooping everywhere, no alone time, scheduled feedings, chewing on everything they find to put in their mouths. Yeah, I have friends with kids and this sounds really similar.

So its been about a month and I will admit, he is getting a millions times better. He is 90% potty trained and crate trained, he gets along with the cats and enjoys playing fetch. He still has an issue with chewing...things and people and he hates when he has to entertain himself. Overall, he's a good puppy. Ed takes care of him most of the time, but for some reason he is attached to me by the hip. He will wait patiently outside the bathroom door for me and needs to be touching me at all times if I'm sitting or standing still. Its adorably annoying but I love him and I can't wait to see how he grows up. I just wish he would leave me alone for one minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment